About Woldia University
Woldia university was established through the council of ministers Regulation No 223/2011 issued on may 26,2011.
Corner stone for construction activities of the university was laid on Oct ,26,2008 by his Excellency Ato Ayalew Gobezy , former president of the Amhara Regional state , and his excellency Dr. Adhana Haile , former deputy state minister of education
Currently, the total area of the university is 196 hectares of land. Woldia university has two campuses, namely ,the main compus called Woldia university and the other one is mersa campus of Agriculture. It is 30 kms far from the main campus .
The first batch of students, numbering 599, has been admitted to the university on Dec 10/2011 in fabulous reception ceremony involving invited guests city residents, representatives of different zone & Woreda administrative offices and university’s community . students have been placed in to four faculties and 12 departments.
In its second year of operation ,the university admitted over 1457 New students . The number of faculties grew in to six ,the two newly added being the faculty of Agriculture and pedagogic al and behavioral science faculty . Like wise , the number of departments doubled in to 24. Currently, the university has a student population of over 4300.
The university is anticipated to contain a student population of 10,500 over a period of five years. More than 150 blocks are planned to be erected in different phases with in the specified period.